My son, Eric, had gone to the village swimming hole. Most of kids go there to swim, and I had no 41 for his safety.
Still the words of the 42 “You need to come up here to the Stillwater River” made me catch my breath.
Arriving at the 43 , I immediately saw the fire truck, ambulance and Eric 44 quietly.
I hurried over to him. “You OK?” I asked.
“Yeah” was all he said. But my 45 begged for an explanation. I didn’t get it from him.
The 46 was this: A woman was being 47 under water. Eric and his friend Tyler, without 48 , swam out to her, and brought her 49 to shore.
In an age in which the word “ 50 ” is broadcast with abandon and seemingly applied to anyone who makes it through the day, I realized the 51 thing in my son. The teens are 52 and self-centered, but that didn’t mean they have no 53 to do good.
We drove home. Along the way, I 54 to dig out some more 55 from him but in vain.
I spent some time alone that evening, 56 about the matter. The next morning, I 57 Eric to tell me the story. But all he did was to toast some bread and 58 for the door to start a 59 day. Watching from the window, I was 60 that still water often runs deep.
41. A. fear B. preparation C. plan D. suggestion
42. A. woman B. fireman C. kid D. friend
43. A. hospital B. school C. river D. village
44. A. sitting B. working C. studying D. weeping
45. A. brain B. words C. act D. eyes
46. A. reason B. story C. explanation D. problem
47. A. attacked B. drowned C. swept D. found
48. A. hesitation B. help C. agreement D. difficulty
49. A. nearly B. quietly C. happily D. safely
50. A. peace B. volunteer C. hero D. danger
51. A. terrible B. real C. strange D. mysterious
52. A. stubborn B. naughty C. skilled D. generous
53. A. time B. ability C. desire D. chance
54. A. managed B. wanted C. needed D. tried
55. A. experience B. strength C. interest D. information
56. A. thinking B. talking C. worrying D. caring
57. A. waited B. expected C. advised D. forced
58. A. search B. look C. head D. ask
59. A. bright B. good C. busy D. new
60. A. told B. reminded C. taught D. impressed
41-45 ABCAD 46-50 BCADC 51-55 BACDD 56-60 ABCDB